Sunday, March 7, 2010

Equality: ideally it should be a two way street

I try to be fair. I really do try to be fair. I heard the whole “controversy” about the all white Zeta sorority winning first place in the step competition and the AKAs receiving second place. Personally, I hate "colorfying" people because I think we are more than just outer appearances, but have various cultural backgrounds that we can bring to the table. So, yet again, I wanted to see for myself what I would think was better by just watching it for myself. So, again, I did the thing our generation does besides of course reading: I “youtubed” both of the performances. First, I watched the Zeta performance and my jaw nearly dropped. I could barely stop watching though it was 9 minutes long. The performance had continuity, beat, originality and creativity. My eyes were glued to my laptop. After watching that, I watched the AKA performance. It really wasn’t that bad, but neither was it exceptional as in comparison to the Zeta performance. There were pauses between the steps and at parts, my eyes just glazed over. Also, I felt they may have won a hair/step commercial to how much they kept flipping and rolling their hair. I personally rolled my eyes.
I think the whole controversy in all this is that people feel that the judging was “racist” or maybe that the Zetas didn’t have as much “soul” and spirit as the other steppers. Some people may have felt that they were “stealing” their culture. In this instance, I couldn’t disagree more. In America, where race relations are a topic of sensitivity, it is unfair when people demand equal rights but then when it does not benefit them, cry foul. Would such an outcry have occurred if a black couple danced in ballroom dancing and won? Because that type of dancing could be proclaimed as not within their culture. Would there in this day of age be such an outcry, or in that reverse situation, would we be celebrating diversity and globalization.
What I am trying to say is that equality is not a one way street. If you demand equality, you can’t take it back when you don’t benefit. It downgrades and trivializes what civil rights leaders around the world have been fighting for. If I ask you to be able to join your club, it would only be equal if I allowed you the same right.

No comments:

Post a Comment